Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Parenting, the Art of Understanding!

 

Photo Credit: BYU Idaho FAML120

Family is so important. I believe that Families can be together forever through the Atonement of Christ. I have two children and I want to be the best parent I can be. I want to gain knowledge so I can put my best foot forward. Here is a quote that struck me and I thought I would share it. 
Photo Credit: BYU Idaho FAML120

We need to love our children. We need to have them fear the Lord and the consequences they will face in Heaven. They need not fear us. I think we need to love them and not  correct them in our angry state. We need to walk away and wait 10 minutes, walk away do not yell, and address the situation that upset us after the 10 minutes is up. Then we talk about the issue rational and not in the state of anger.   


This is a great book to read if you want 10 easy principles to becoming a better parent. Laurence Steinberg, PH.D. basically says that our children learn from our behavior.  If we have anger issues and outbursts, so will our children. We are a mirror and they are looking through and up to us. We need to make sure we act accordingly or act how we want them to act. 
Photo Credit: Being Mindful Matters
Children's brains grow every day. Adults brains can grow as well, but they do not grow as rapidly as children's do.  
"Myelination refers to an increase in the fatty sheath surrounding neuronal processes and fibers that increases the efficiency of electrical transmission. This process rapidly occurs from age 3 weeks to 1 year.  It occurs for at least another 10 to 12 years after birth."

 This allows children to map language and learn at an increasingly fast rate. Their brains absorb so much and does for many years as they are maturing.  We want them to rapidly learn positive behavior from us.  We want them to mirror our positive good behavior. Let's allow them to have the best foot forward. 






No comments:

Post a Comment